Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Sketchbook: Composition Thumbnail 2


"The house must have fallen on her. Whatever shall we do?"

I am getting pretty excited to start working on some Illustrations. The above sketch is one I am itching to work on, however I still need to finish preparing my paper stretchers. It would be a shame to paint this on a nice sheet of Arches 140 # Hot Press without stretching it to avoid buckling. I am preparing two stretchers so I can work on this and the composition from my previous entry simultaneously. As the caption suggests, this is the scene where Dorothy discovers what is left of the Wicked Witch of the East and her Silver Slippers. This is still a very rough idea... what I would call a "color sketch." You'll notice that the Munchkin Council behind the Good Witch of the North are very roughly sketched in... I will be working out the final poses in my sketchbook before I start working on the final piece. I also want to try and resolve any compositional issues beforehand.

Meanwhile, the Tin Woodsman is coming along nicely, though I am working on his pre-tin portrayal, but it should go rather quickly since I am feeling the fire to get on to some scenes. Thank you for looking.

No comments:

Post a Comment